Sunday 13 May 2012

Cork, Ireland

I have stopped moving for now and am staying at my WWOOF host's in West Cork, Ireland.



I am finally starting to get the hang of milking her goats, though am still just on the chilled one, not the cranky one with horns:

We have also been doing some hunting for rabbit. A couple nights ago we went 'dazzling', which is using a powerful torch to spot the rabbit, and using a dog to chase and catch them. The dog is incredibly fast and agile, and caught two of three - the third escaping out of the torch beam by going over the brow of a hill.

Yesterday evening was ideal for shooting - no wind and sunny, and my host shot one rabbit from three.


She showed me how to butcher it, and we took the best cuts from the leg and back to make a curry. Everything else but the guts went to the dogs - bones and fur included.

I am here for another week until Dani and her dad Rob come over and we continue our travels around Ireland.